Adobe and School of Motion set the template for the coolest partnership in the industry. Welcome to Mogrt Madness!
Here at School of Motion, we're all about bringing together the best and brightest to create a more open community for motion designers. That's why we were absolutely thrilled for the opportunity to partner with one of the leading names in the industry: Adobe. So, we joined forces to blow your friggin' minds.
Welcome to #MogrtMadness, an awesome event that puts the tools in YOUR hands.
What the heck is a “Mogrt?!”
It stands for Motion Graphics Template, and they’ve actually been around for a few years already. They allow motion designers to create templates for Premiere Pro users (including themselves) to make motion graphics accessible, easy, and efficient—even for folks who may have never used After Effects before. You can find them on Adobe Stock, ready to use or purchase, or you can even create your own.
The March 2021 update for After Effects and Premiere includes a HUGE upgrade for Mogrts: Media Replacement! This opens up a whole new world of possibilities, as you can now swap images, video, and even nested timelines into animated templates right in Premiere Pro. (This feature requires Premiere Pro 2021 (v15), so make sure you’ve updated!)
Even though the giveaway portion of Mogrt Madness is done, these sweet templates are still up for you to explore! All YOU have to do is grab one of the templates created by our talented School of Motion alumni, adjust settings, add your own images or video to customize it, and then post it back on Instagram. We'd love to see what you can create with these!
Here’s how to get started:
Seven Steps to Creating Your Own #MogrtMadness Magic
1. Use the link above to join the Mogrt Madness Creative Cloud Library, filled with fun templates made by School of Motion alumni. Then choose “Follow Library.”
2. In Premiere Pro’s Essential Graphics Panel, make sure you’re on Browse > My Templates, click the checkbox next to Libraries, and select Mogrt Madness from the Libraries dropdown menu.
- If you don’t see the templates yet, you may just need to give them a moment to load! Also, make sure you’re using the most recent version of Premiere Pro, or these templates won’t be visible for you.
- To see only the Mogrt Madness templates, uncheck “Local,” and de-select any other Libraries.
- You can also use the Search bar: look for Mogrt Madness or School of Motion.
3. Pick a template you like and drag it onto a timeline.
- Premiere may ask if you’d like to change sequence settings to match the template: Yep, do that!
- Some of the templates allow for another clip to sit below them, while many are totally self-contained.
- Some templates may take a several seconds to load their assets. Be patient!
- Some templates may only work properly in an English install of Premiere Pro.
4. Select the template in your timeline, and your Essential Graphics Panel will switch from Browse to Edit.
5. Look for the Media Replacement element(s) in the Essential Graphics Panel, and simply drag your own image or video onto it. You’ll have the ability to reposition and resize the media, and even choose which segment of a video file you’d like to see.
6. Adjust any of the available settings until you’re happy.
- The templates may have lots of settings or only a few. Don’t be afraid to explore!
- Some templates will preview slower than others, depending on effects used and the speed of your machine.
7. Export as an .mp4 and upload to Instagram using #mogrtmadness. We’d love for you to tag the template’s creator (their info is included at the top of every template), as well as @schoolofmotion and @adobevideo.
- If you don’t use the hashtag, we won’t be able to find your post when we do our giveaways, and tagging the creator just seems like the cool thing to do, right?
If you need more help working with Mogrts, you can check out these helpful tips directly from Adobe, and this Adobe MAX session on Mogrts, starring our own Senior Motion Designer, Kyle Hamrick. (This was filmed before Media Replacement became available.)
Good luck, and we can’t wait to see what you create!
More Mogrt Media for Me!
If you didn’t catch it, our recent live stream with Adobe’s Dacia Saenz covers the basics of using and creating Mogrts in both Premiere and After Effects.
Kyle and Dacia also recently hung out on the Adobe Care YouTube channel just after the newest release, to talk about Motion Graphics templates.
You might be sensing a trend here, but Adobe also talked about these recently on its Adobe Video Community Meetup, featuring Dacia, After Effects Senior Product Manager Victoria Nece, Mogrt-maker (and instructor for our own Photoshop and Illustrator Unleashed and Explainer Camp) Jake Bartlett, and hosted by the incomparable Jason Levine.
Did this get you all excited to create these things yourself? Good! Here’s some helpful documentation from Adobe to get you started with authoring Motion Graphics templates!
These Motion Graphics templates don’t need to be complicated, but they can do amazing things when you leverage the power of expressions within After Effects. If you’d like to learn how to unlock a whole new level of code-based AE powers in your brain, check out Expression Session!
Expression Session will teach you how to approach, write, and implement expressions in After Effects. Over the course of 12 weeks, you'll go from rookie to seasoned coder.
Dive into real-time 3D with our Unreal Engine beginner's course by Jonathan Winbush. Master importing assets, world-building, animation, and cinematic sequences to create stunning 3D renders in no time! Perfect for motion designers ready to level up.Explore this Course ➔
Unlock the secrets of character design in this dynamic course! Explore shape language, anatomy rules, and motifs to craft animation-ready characters. Gain drawing tips, hacks, and Procreate mastery (or any drawing app). Ideal for artists seeking to elevate their craft.Explore this Course ➔
Elevate your freelance motion design career with our guide to client success. Master a repeatable method for finding, contacting, and landing clients. Learn to identify prospects, nurture leads, and develop a thriving freelance philosophy amidst chaos.Explore this Course ➔
Rev up your editing skills with After Effects! Learn to use it for everyday needs and craft dynamic templates (Mogrts) for smarter teamwork. You'll master creating animated graphics, removing unwanted elements, tracking graphics, and making customizable templates.Explore this Course ➔
Stand out with Demo Reel Dash! Learn to spotlight your best work and market your unique brand of magic. By the end, you'll have a brand new demo reel and a custom campaign to showcase yourself to an audience aligned with your career goals.Explore this Course ➔
Illuminate your 3D skills with Lights, Camera, Render! Dive deep into advanced Cinema 4D techniques with David Ariew. Master core cinematography skills, gain valuable assets, and learn tools and best practices to create stunning work that wows clients.Explore this Course ➔
Master After Effects at your own pace with Jake Bartlett's beginner course. Perfect for video editors, you'll learn to create stylish animated graphics, remove unwanted elements, and track graphics into shots. By the end, you'll be equipped for everyday AE needs and more.Explore this Course ➔
Revolutionize your Premiere workflow with customizable AE templates! Master creating dynamic Motion Graphics Templates (Mogrts) in After Effects to speed up your team's work. By the end, you'll craft easily-customizable templates for seamless use in Premiere Pro.Explore this Course ➔